Friday, May 18, 2007

Welcome to the Wonderful World of ME!


I suppose it's time for me to step up. They say fake it 'til you make it so I suppose I'll pretend to do that in hopes that someday I'll really be the cool digital diva I wanna be. Okay, well, maybe digital diva is a bit strong.



I got a copy of photoshop from a photographer friend of mine. It was waaaaaay above my head so I let dust settle on it. A year ago at Christmas, I picked it up with a tutorial about using layers- wow! That opened up a whole new world! I did some stuff, but not nearly what I would have liked and then got busy doing other things. I applied for a position on a design team for paper scrapping and was disappointed as well. Ah well.



Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I put up a lo on my scrapbook.com gallery and found a lo by Michelle Coleman that I was drawn to. So drawn, in fact, that I popped into her gallery. Ahhh, the swirls and laces, and creative touches that are so dreamy. I was in love. So, naturally I followed links over to her site, Little Dreamer Designs and found that they are accepting applications for a Dream Team. Results on that come today and I am trying not to get my hopes up. I would love to be able to use her latest and greatest as inspiration and use them to make great layouts. While working on a lo specifically to apply for her dream team, I really allowed myself play with my tool box in photoshop and am excited about the places my lo's are going. But, maybe I'm not Dream Team material yet. Then again, I think that someone needs to be brave enough to cast someone without a lot of experience so that people can see the growth in their designs and see that you don't have to know everything to do a great page.

I got my June issue of Memory Makers and it had an article about digi design. It said that DigiShopTalk is the place for people in the know to get tips and trade tools. Feeling like I've kinda hit my stride, I headed over and registered for an account. I also found the calls forum and wrote about a couple of CT's I would be interested in. I am being particular. I'm only applying for ones that I like the look of. I don't need to have too much on my plate and don't want to feel stuck to use something because I "have" to. No offense if I didn't apply for yours, at this point there were deadlines. Also, if I don't apply, it may be because it's not my style and I'd rather see someone who fits that style design with it to feature it better! Make sense?

But, the cool thing is that there was a post about needing a Creative Writer. Well, being a writer, this is right up my alley. I would love to be a CW for a few lines and somehow make a living being a scrapbooking writer. What fun would that be?! So, in the interest of that, my goal here is to use tools that I get, give my honest opinion of them, and show what I've done with them.

To get to know me a bit, I've attached my "So Me, So What?" lo. In essence, I am 34 years old and going through a "phase" (I hope it's not a phase) where I feel like I'm really getting back to unapologetically being who I am. I'm not your traditional stay at home mom, wife, friend. I am open minded and don't like negativity. I will call you on it after awhile and sooner if it brings someone down. I grew up in Michigan where we have a cottage that we're trying to sell. We got it when my husband was in the corporate arena and his job became based out of Detroit. We did not want to move back now that we are settled in Atlanta, so we bought the cottage to spend summers in. However, the corporate world of mortgage took a downturn so hubby was laid off and decided to start his own business last year. It's, um, topsy turvy, but he's starting to make it work and I'm very proud of him. It allows him to be home more with me and our children, Sawyer 7, and Bella 4. Sawyer has PDD/NOS, a high functioning form of autism. He's very social, funny, but doesn't quite have the social grace or understanding of why we should care about certain things. Sometimes it actually makes sense. But, it's the world we live in. Bella is a whole 'nother animal. I won't be surprised if she's in honors everything but right now she's just a diva as you'll learn through my lo's. My friends are my family. My very best friend is Mary who inspires me and reminds me that it's okay to step out of the norm. She is as close to me as my sister who I am maybe too close to. Stuff like that happens when you help raise a sibling.

But, I digress. I love that I am a scrapbooker because it makes me see the great things in life. While I sit on the bed folding the umpteenth load of laundry, I remember that I have a family that wears these clothes and if I didn't have the laundry, I wouldn't have them. Instead of freaking out when my daughter has paint on her clothes, I take a couple pictures for posterity and celebrate her creativity. It definitely makes life more interesting.

I have friends waiting on me for coffee so I have to go. You'll know if I make the Little Dreamer Designs Dream Team because I'll shout it from the heavens.

Later Taters!
CK