Wednesday, July 4, 2007

On Vacay

This morning we're sitting around having what looks like a pretty typical day at home- only we're not at home, we're 800 miles away at our cottage in Michigan. While I have internet connection, it's slower than my speed at home and I'm "only" on my laptop so creating anything would be done using my mousepad which I don't like. So, instead of creating over coffee and a protein bar, I'm checking the digi shop talk forums, specifically stuff about Traci Reed's Trash the Dress session. (I'm actually thinking about going to get a dress when I get home and having this done- it would be so much fun!)

I'm doing a lot of reading on vacay. I love reading but with 2 very small children underfoot, I have spent the last 7 years following them, making sure they mind their manners, and pick up after themselves- if they don't, I have to. When the day is done, any attempts to read lead to sleep which is why I have books that I've meant to read for years but haven't. I even joined a book club with aspirations of reading more- I mean, it's one book a month, who can't do that? The mother of 2 very small children, that's who.

I am feeling like I'm neglecting my designers. I let Laura White/Princess Lala know I'm on vacation and she is cool with it. Melanie Chenowyth is a relaxed CT to begin with. And I'm still in contact with Ronee and we're working on stuff. So, really I'm not being irresponsible, but it sure feels like it.

Then again, I realize how fortunate we are to have a cottage to go to (though it is on the market) to be with family and friends in the best part of the Michigan year. We went to the Dairy Bar, the major food place in town last night and hung out around the greenspace where the kids played with other kids. (a major thing for Sawyer...impromptu social situations are not a typical comfort zone for autistic kiddoes) It's good, necessary even, to have a time to slow down and do different things. I could do it on a better bed, that's for sure! (we're sleeping on our air mattress)

Happy 4th. Celebrate and enjoy your independence.

No comments: