Monday, July 16, 2007

I Don't Get Camping

Last fall I had what could best be described as a horrible camping experience. My sister in law decided she wanted to do some camping while she is in Michigan and since we're here too, we went as a family. The tent campers next to us (we recovered our pop up trailer from our cottage) only had fire as a way to cook so they pretty much had a fire going all day. The smoke from it bothered me and then got worse- it climbed into my sinuses and has me miserable. As I looked through the back window of my in-laws HUGE travel trailer, I was reminded of their winter home in Florida. The view from their patio there is much the same as the picture window on the back of the trailer including twin recliners and decorative lamp in between. (not to sound like Carrie Bradshaw but...) It got me thinking, why do people go camping anyway? In the mid 1900's when people lived on postage stamp sized lots in industrial areas, okay, I can get that. But, let's see, here are the reasons to go camping and why they're negated now days...

To get back to nature. I've got a great back yard full of nature.
To spend time with family. Between soccer and whatever it is Bella is involved in plus any other activities around town, we spend plenty of time as a family.
To be with friends. If I want my friends around, I'll invite them over.

And, at the end of the day, it won't take 2-4 times though the wash to get the smoke and dirt out of your clothes, you won't need 2-4 showers to get the dirt and smoke off you, you don't have to eat food that is 1/2 burned, 1/4 raw, and 1/4 cooked right, you get a decent shower, and a good night's sleep in your own bed without people walking and talking in and around your campsite.

Call me cynical, but I have a beautiful patio that I love to sit on and enjoy my kids playing in the yard, cooking a nice meal on the grill, then having the kids and/or friends join us on. I don't need to pack the essentials into a suitcase to cram into 100 square feet to go do it.

The other thing was that my kids played at the playground or Sawyer rode his bike leaving me with not much to do. I don't know, maybe I just don't know how to slow down and relax. I'm so used to having 100 things to do and 1/2 hour to do them.

No comments: